Best Futon Review (February 2019)
|Futon||Image||Price||Our Opinion||Check Price|
|DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed, Modern Convertible Couch With Chrome Legs||$$$||Editor’s Pick|
|DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress||$$$$||Best Value For Money|
|Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Full Futon Mattress||$$$||Best Materials Used for a Futon|
|EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress Classe||$$||Best Traditional Japanese Futon|
|Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon||$$$||Best Futon Design|
Are you looking for the best futon that can provide you the comfort and relaxation that you have always wanted, but don’t know how and where to buy one? Check out our buying guide and product review of the best futons in the market.
The futon has become a furniture staple in a lot of American homes because of its versatility. You may use this multifunctional home accessory as seating furniture by day and a sleeping mattress by night. This is probably the reason why some people prefer futons over conventional sofa sets or full beds.
The appeal of using a futon can be extremely inviting. However, you must know which is the best futon that can provide you the comfort and that is just right for your budget. Find below some of the best futon beds available in the market today.
- 1 BEST FUTON REVIEWS
- 1.1 DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed, Modern Convertible Couch With Chrome Legs – Editor’s Pick
- 1.2 DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress – Best Value For Money
- 1.3 Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Full Futon Mattress – Best Materials Used for a Futon
- 1.4 EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress Classe – Best Traditonal Japanese Futon
- 1.5 Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon – Best Futon Design
- 2 FUTONS BUYING GUIDE – HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FUTON FOR YOU
- 3 IMPORTANT REASONS TO BUY THE BEST FUTON NOW
- 4 TIPS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR FUTON
- 5 Best Futon For Your Home
BEST FUTON REVIEWS
This futon sofa bed has a stylish design while at the same time providing the comforts of modern day living. It is easy to assemble and easy to clean, thereby making it all the more convenient to add it into any type of home.
It is built as a split-back type of futon which makes it easier to fold it down to your preferred level of recline. It allows easy folding, positioning, and repositioning.
They are offered in 4 different colors that can easily complement the overall design of your home – vanilla, black, and grey in faux leather, and navy blue in linen.
The DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed is one of the best futon products on our list, and its fantastic features deserve an Editor’s Pick label.
Measures when folded up: height is 32″ (81.28 cm), width is 71″ (180.34 cm), depth is 34″ (86.36 cm)
Seat Height is 16″ (40.64 cm) and depth is 23″ (58.42 cm)
Weight limit: 600 lbs (270 kg)
- Stylish, fashionable, and available in four colors
- Easy to assemble
- Allows for quick change from sofa to bed (and vice versa)
- Easy to fold down to your preferred level of recline
- Leather surface may be too slippery to sit on
- May feel too warm when you sleep on the futon (especially for the leather variants)
Customers gave the DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed generally positive marks, many of them citing the premium design and features of the product despite its low price. Although some buyers complained about the sinking mattress and some crack in the faux leather upholstery over time, most of the customers found the product perfect for their needs.
Take a look at the glowing reviews that the DHP futon received:
- Brilliant design: Several buyers were impressed by the futon’s form and color options, with some of them using the futon for staging their homes for selling.
- Easy to set up: Instructions were clear, and it took just a few minutes to unbox the futon and enjoy it.
- Space saver: With its compact design, buyers found it perfect for small homes, apartments, and dorm rooms.
DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress – Best Value For Money
Another futon from DHP comes in the form of their 8-inch foam, which is designed to give you optimal comfort and relieve pressure on your back. This premium futon mattress is suitable for any standard sized futon frame.
What’s great about this foam futon mattress is its perfect marriage of sturdiness and comfort. It has independent pocket springs that provide the strong backing. It’s made of soft polyester microfiber mattress cover, while the foam and polyester are of superior quality to bring absolute comfort during your rest.
With its encased coils for safety and desired backing, this futon provides you a relaxing feeling when you use it as a couch and provides enough support and pressure relief for a restful sleep.
All of these features are available at a price that challenges the competition. Despite its lower price tag compared to other best futon products, this futon mattress from DHP delivers so much more features and benefits that other low-priced futons find difficult to offer.
Just like any typical futon, DHP’s independently-encased coil premium futon mattress can be used either as a couch or a bed. Overall, it’s a product worthy to be cited in this list of the best futon options for your home.
Comes in 2 sizes 6 and 8. Meets federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633
Size 6: Width is 75″ (190.5 cm) depth is 54″ (137.16 cm) and height is 6″ (15.24 cm)
Size 8 Width is 75″ (190.5 cm) depth is 54″ (137.16 cm) and height is 8″ (20.32 cm)
Product weight: 59 lbs (26.76 kg)
- Cost-effective; perfect for those who are budget-conscious
- Encased coils for safety and desired backing
- Made of materials that are safe for human health
- Highly suitable for any standard sized frame
- Multiple color and advanced fiber
- Replacing a broken spring may be difficult
- Warranty period is short
A lot of buyers vouch for the bang-for-the-buck quality of this particular futon mattress. Aside from living up to its promise of being a premium futon mattress based on aesthetics and durability alone, customers generally loved the level of comfort that this product gave them.
Some buyers found the cover fabric too thin for their taste, but overall the overwhelmingly good reviews speak so much about the beauty and usefulness of this futon.
Check out some of the positive feedback for the DHP 8-inch independently-encased coil premium futon mattress:
- Amazing features for its price: The sheer number of benefits that this futon mattress provides has surprised buyers because of the low price.
- Ultra-comfortable: One review even said it was “ridiculously comfortable”, owing to the quality of rest that this product was able to give.
- Durable: From its secure packaging to the premium materials that it’s made of, this futon mattress has impressed buyers due to the manufacturer’s care for product longevity.
Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Full Futon Mattress – Best Materials Used for a Futon
As you search for the best futon for you, this futon mattress from Serta should be part of your considerations. It is designed with exceptional quality materials of polyester with cotton fibers to provide superior durability and more comfort compared to other types of futon mattresses.
The mattress is surrounded by foam pieces that extend comfort to your body. It has three layers of cotton blends to provide the strength needed for heavy loads.
It makes use of certiPUR foams that are made without formaldehyde and phthalates regulated by the CPSC. Surprisingly, with its combined cotton fibers and innerspring unit, the futon mattress is comfortable and light.
One great feature of this mattress is that it comes rolled and compressed. This makes installation and actual use a breeze. You can also conveniently safekeep it in a cabinet or storage area to allow more space for your home when you’re not going to use the futon, especially if you have a small bedroom.
Its sleek and no-frills design lets it blend with practically any room style or color. All you need to do is pair it up with the right futon frame, and you’re set to enjoy the best futon that you can possibly own.
All in all, this product deserves a citation as the best futon in terms of materials used. Not only are the build materials sturdy and comfortable, but they’re also safe for general use.
- Made of superior quality materials that are durable, comfortable, and free of harmful chemicals
- Easy to roll up and store
- Offers support to the entire body
- Fits practically all futon frames of standard length
- Comes in a sleek design
- Quite expensive for a futon mattress
A high price may put off potential buyers, but not if the product delivers much more than what they expect. This is how the Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Full Futon Mattress became for buyers – it simply had the best value for money.
Customers who aren’t accustomed to spring mattresses found the product too firm for their liking, but it will definitely work wonders for people looking for a firm mattress to support their backs. Overall, majority of the buyers liked this futon mattress from Serta due to the following points:
- Cost-friendly: Even though it’s one of the expensive futon products on this list, buyers were happy to report that the quality makes up for it.
- Comfortable: Some buyers compared this product to an air mattress due to the level comfort that the product provides. This mattress from Serta perfectly balances comfort and firmness.
- Firm and durable: The materials used for this futon mattress make the product firm to the touch but not too hard for sleeping or sitting on. More importantly, it’s the firmness that has earned likes from buyers for its durability.
EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress Classe – Best Traditonal Japanese Futon
Despite its simplistic design and use, the EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress Classe is a class on its own. Evoking the rich culture of Japanese living, this product serves as the best futon for people who want to experience the authentic use of a futon for their homes.
Unlike traditional Japanese futons that are relatively small and thin, this futon mattress is thick enough to please American homeowners who may be looking for a right balance of comfort, sturdiness, and style.
This futon mattress is made of 100% hygroscopic cotton fabric for the outer cover and 100% polyester with Teijin Mightytop II Eco in its interior. The latter material makes this product anti-bacterial, anti-tick and deodorized for 2-3 years. It also keeps the internal materials free from pests and bad odor.
The sleek design and geometric quilt patterns make this futon mattress an absolutely stunning piece inside any room. If you prefer to open up some space in the bedroom, its foldable design allows you to store the futon mattress in a storage cabinet.
If you’re looking for the best futon in terms of price and authenticity, the EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress may just be the right futon mattress for you.
Twin size: Width is 39″ x length is 83″ x height is 3″ in. (100 cm x 210 cm x 8 cm), 11 lbs (5 kg).
Full size: Width is 55″ x length is 83 x height is 3 in. (140 cm x 210 cm x 8 cm), 15 lbs (7 kg).
- Teijin Mightytop II Eco material protects the futon from bacteria, dust mites, and odor
- Made from excellent quality materials
- Affordable choice for its comfort and style
- Not designed to be used as a couch
- Does not provide extra support to prevent possible backaches
Majority of buyers gave this product 5 stars. Some buyers pointed out that the mattress thickness wasn’t accurate. Despite this, many others still gave this product two thumbs up for comfort and for the following factors:
- Firm but comfy: A lot of buyers found this product from EMOOR both firm but extremely comfortable. That’s a rare quality for the best futon!
- Better price than conventional mattress: Some buyers liked that this futon mattress delivers the same quality of rest as regular mattresses but at a much lower cost.
- Light and thin: A unique feature of this futon mattress is its lightweight quality. Despite the thin design, buyers felt extreme comfort and support.
Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon – Best Futon Design
At first glance, you probably wouldn’t recognize this as a futon! By its visuals alone, Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon is among the best futon products on the market today. This sophisticated sofa is an affordable convertible futon that will definitely deceive your eyes.
The linen upholstery is a combination of elegance and uniqueness, and it is available in a wide array of color options. What’s best is that the upholstery is easy to clean: just wipe off the dirt and you’re all set!
You would instantly fall in love with its sleek and modern design Its curved armrests evoke a confident and comforting vibe to the seating furniture, while the slanted wooden legs add to the rich details of this magnificent piece.
The durability of this sofa futon is topnotch with its perfectly ribbed and cushioned back, as well as its stable wooden frame.
This futon can perfectly blend into most contemporary-designed homes, adding a chic touch to any room. It should come as no surprise that this product from Novogratz is part of out best futon list.
Comfortable polyester and foam filling.
Sleeper dimensions: Length is 70.5″ (179.07 cm) x width is 43.5 (110.49 cm) x height is 16″ (40.64 cm)
Futon Dimensions:Length is 81.5″ (207.01 cm) x width is 34.5″ (87.63 cm) x height is 31.5″ (80.01 cm)
Product Weight: 84 lbs (38.10 kg)
- Elegant design: wood frame construction covered with high-quality linen upholstery
- Uses gentle springs and materials
- Easily bent or folded
- Cotton-filled foam to help you sit and relax more comfortably
- Durable construction
- A bit bulky than the other best futon options on this list; may occupy a significant amount of space in any home
- Colors may be too artsy for traditional homes
- Does not come with extra cushion to soften up the futon
Buyers of this product were generally blown away by the beautiful design of the Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon. A number of customers were unsure about the sturdiness of this futon, but overall the reviews tipped towards the positive.
Some of the best features of this sofa futon based on customer reviews include the following:
- Looks great: The elegant design of this sofa futon already ranks among traditional couch styles.
- Firm cushion: Buyers were satisfied with the amount of firmness that the futon foam provided.
- Good price: A lot of buyers were all praises for the cost of this product, saying that it’s a great deal for the futon’s style, comfort, and compactness.
FUTONS BUYING GUIDE – HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FUTON FOR YOU
The futon owes its origins to beddings that are traditionally used in Japan. The unique furniture has somehow found its way to the U.S. for a dual purpose: a comfortable bed to sleep on, and a lounging couch to sit on. Because of its flexibility, the futon has become a cost-effective and convenient alternative to modern homes.
Choosing the right futon mattress can be a tough decision. Futons can be used in various ways, but mostly as couches that convert into a bed. They may also be made from different kinds of materials – expensive hardwood, inexpensive metal, pieces of cotton and wool, or a solid piece of foam.
The best futon is an awesome choice, particularly for those who live in small houses or college students who live in dorm rooms. However, not all futons are equal. Therefore, to ensure that you only purchase the best futon, you need to consider the following factors to determine which one suits you the most.
First things first, decide on the purpose of the futon. Will you use it solely as a bed or are you also considering it as a day couch? This particular factor will make or break your decision to choose the best futon for your home.
Some futons look like a conventional sofa, but this probably won’t interest you much if you already have enough seating furniture in your home or if you plan on using the futon for the bedroom only. On the flip side, buying a futon that conveniently switches from couch to bed is an ingenious way to save up on having to purchase two separate items for sitting and sleeping in.
Judging from the list of the best futon products above, it’s clear that they are made of different kinds of materials depending on the manufacturer’s preferences or the product’s intended use.
For starters, ask the seller about the material used for the foam. Some foam materials are designed for softness, while others are meant for durability.
Next, decide on our preferred futon upholstery material (or the outer surface of the futon). Some people like to sit on microfiber material because it tends to be cooler to the touch. However, homeowners looking for easy-to-clean furniture will definitely find the answer in leather (or faux leather) upholstery because all you need to do is wipe off spills and dirt.
Finally, check the material used for the frame and legs. Some of the best futon models have metal frames and wooden legs because of the perfect mix of elegance and durability.
There are various futon designs in the market that are made from varying materials. Look for a futon that strikes a balance between aesthetic beauty, material durability, and convenience of use. More importantly, choose one that perfectly fits the overall design of the space where you intend to place it.
Thickness of the mattress
Another factor that potential buyers need to think about is the thickness of the foam. Some products have a thickness of 8 inches, while traditional Japanese futons can be a lot thinner.
A thick mattress feels more comfortable because you won’t feel the bed frame or the surface underneath. It also looks more sophisticated and of premium quality than thinner variants.
In contrast, though, imagine having to lug around a piece of thick futon when cleaning or rearranging your home. A thick mattress isn’t as mobile or portable as a thin mattress.
In addition, some futon mattresses may look thick but may actually sink as you sleep on them. This creates unnecessary strain on your neck and hips, which may lead to an overall uncomfortable rest.
Thick mattresses also have a tendency to trap more heat inside, making it feel warmer than when you sleep or sit on a thinner foam. More importantly, the biggest drawback of a thick mattress is its price – because it uses more materials, it will definitely command a higher price than thinner products.
Futons are available in varying sizes, and this should form part of your decision-making process. This is because your room space might be too small to accommodate the futon that you’re planning to buy.
If you have a small space, choose a smaller mattress. One strategy that you can use in choosing the best futon based on size is to look for foldable versions. Sure, it may take up lots of space when it’s fashioned as a bed, but a foldable feature allows you to compress the furniture to free up more space in the home.
IMPORTANT REASONS TO BUY THE BEST FUTON NOW
More people are switching to futon these days. Aside from it being popular among college students, some adults are using futons for various reasons, some of which include the following:
- Some people feel safe when sleeping on a futon, mainly due to the fact that it’s not too far from the floor. As a result, you can effectively eliminate the fear of falling off the bed.
- If you live in a small home, it is easier for you to fold up the futon and keep it in storage to make way for more space to move around.
- You can make use of a futon as a spare bed for your guest.
- Most modern futons are made of top quality materials designed to provide a peaceful sleep and a more relaxing rest.
- Some futons are easy to clean, especially those with sleek design or lightweight materials. You can hang it over a railing under the sun to sterilize it.
- While taking a nap on a sofa or couch may sound good, a futon is much better in terms of providing rest and protecting your health. If you have an aching back, the futon is much more comfy than a sofa as it keeps your back aligned, thereby preventing the incidence of pinched nerve or muscle tightness.
- Looking to customize your sleeping experience? Here’s a Japanese custom that will help you elevate the level of rest in your home: Layer one futon on top of another. Don’t stop with one – go for three! This technique allows you to customize the comfort experience that you desire when you sleep.
- Most futons are cheaper compared to a full-sized bed. That’s because apart from the bed mattress, you need to buy a bed box (or frame) and an optional headboard. Some beds could cost about a thousand dollars compared to a futon that is cheaper by more than half, although it would really depend on the futon model and manufacturer.
- Kids can be too playful sometimes, but it won’t be fun when they fall off after jumping up and down the bed. With a futon, your child will be safer because it’s closer to the floor.
TIPS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR FUTON
Although a brand new futon is already going to give you the best rest at home, you can enhance the experience even more – and enjoy your futon longer – by following these tips:
Measure your space before buying
The best futon won’t matter if it won’t fit your space! Before you jump into the decision of buying that gorgeous futon online, measure the area where you plan to put the futon and cross-reference it with the product dimensions.
Address stains immediately
If you want your futon to look clean for years, make sure to clean off any dirt or spills as soon as you discover them. Letting the stain or spill linger on the futon surface may lead it to look old and dirty than it’s supposed to.
Ask the manufacturer or seller for the best way to clean the futon. Most models – especially those with leather upholstery – may require only a quick wipe, but it won’t hurt to ask about the correct way of cleaning it.
Give it a regular sunbathing session
Futons and mattresses tend to collect bacteria over time, and so it will be wise to disinfect the surface regularly.
The good news is that you don’t have to run the entire futon under the laundry! All you need to do is put the futon under the heat of the sun for at least 2 hours. This will dry off any trapped moisture where mold and mildew may potentially grow. Radiation from the sun will also sterilize the futon’s surface and fibers naturally.
Consider buying a mattress topper
A mattress topper is a removable piece of bedding that is typically placed on top of the mattress, whether it’s a bed or a futon. Its purposes include adding back support when you lie on top of the futon, as well as address any valleys caused by the natural aging of your futon.
Some mattress toppers are made of egg crate foam, while modern variations use memory foam.
Lay a comforter on top of the futon
Another simple but ingenious way to make your futon more comfortable is to put a thick comforter on top. This heavy bedding layer adds a few extra inches of cushion for optimum comfort. This is a similar approach to the mattress topper, although this one is a lot cheaper and more practical.
Best Futon For Your Home
The beauty of futons lies in the fact that they are versatile, easy to use, and potentially beautiful. Remember that futons are available in a wide array of designs, sizes, materials, and functions. It’s up to you to choose which features matter the most to you.
We hope our top picks for the best futon will help you in choosing the perfect home accessory for your living room or bedroom. By following our buying guide and reading our product reviews, we’re confident that you will arrive at an informed decision before heading off to your favorite store.
Which of our top picks is the best futon for you? Comment below to share your thoughts!
Last modified: February 19, 2019